The Civil Liability and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2009 was introduced to parliament on 7 October 2009, to amend various legislation impacting on personal injuries, but not including work injuries.
Among the amendments tabled are:
- Altering limitation periods for Dust Diseases claims;
- Indexing General Damages allowances to increase annually;
- Reinstating certain gratuitous domestic claims (CSR Limited v Eddy);
- Permitting de-facto partners to claim for loss of consortium; and
- Amending pre-court procedures under the Personal Injuries Proceedings Act 2002.
Further discussion will follow regarding the various amendments proposed.
Brisbane Barrister – David Cormack