Further to the Attorney General’s announcement on 07/06/2012 regarding a review of the Qld Workers’ Compensation Scheme by the Parliamentary Finance and Administration Committee:
On 7 June 2012 the Legislative Assembly agreed to a motion that the Finance and Administration Committee inquire into and report on the operation of Queensland’s workers’ compensation scheme.
In particular the committee is required to consider:
- the performance of the scheme in meeting its objectives under section 5 of the Act;
- how the Queensland workers’ compensation scheme compares to the scheme arrangements in other Australian jurisdictions;
- WorkCover’s current and future financial position and its impact on the Queensland economy, the State’s competitiveness and employment growth;
- whether the reforms implemented in 2010 have addressed the growth in common law claims and claims cost that was evidenced in the scheme from 2007-08;
- whether the current self-insurance arrangements legislated in Queensland continue to be appropriate for the contemporary working environment;
- in conducting the inquiry, the committee should also consider and report on implementation of the recommendations of the Structural Review of Institutional and Working Arrangements in Queensland’s Workers’ Compensation Scheme.
The Committee is required to report to the Parliament by 28 February 2013.
Closing date for submissions: Friday 3 August 2012
Public departmental briefing: Wednesday 11 July 2012
Public Hearing: To be advised
Anticipated Reporting Date: Thursday 28 February 2013
The Committee invites submissions
The Finance and Administration Committee invites submissions to its inquiry addressing any or all of the above issues.
Written submission should be sent to:
The Research Director
Finance and Administration Committee
Brisbane Qld 4000
OR by facsimile on 07 3406 7500
OR by email at: email@example.com (please attach document)
Closing date for written submissions is: Friday 3 August 2012
See attached guidelines for submissions
The Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 is available from the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website.
The Manager of Government Business, Mr Ray Stevens MP, introduced the inquiry referral on 17 June 2012. See: Member’s referral motion