Norton Rose Fulbright
Welcome to the Workplace Safety News, which is intended to keep you informed of the developments in safety law that you need to know about.
Please contact a member of the Norton Rose Occupational Health, Safety and Security team in Australia if you have any questions about this edition of Workplace Safety News.
An important acronym in harmonised jurisdictions, and one you will become very familiar with if not already, is the ‘PCBU’ – person conducting a business or undertaking. A PCBU has duties imposed upon them under the Model Work Health and Safety laws. The definition of a PCBU is deliberately broad, as is the primary duty of care imposed on such persons.
This edition covers:
- Lessons for Australian PCBUs from the Pike River Coal Mine Royal Commission
- Fine doubled on appeal for Safety Manager’s failure to enforce agreed procedures
- “Didn’t you get the memo?” – safety consequences of poor workplace communication
- Personal liability for Work Health and Safety – who is an officer?
- Workplace Pranks: When things go wrong, it’s not bad luck – it’s a crime